SPEED CITY SISTERS IN CRIME

SPEED CITY SISTERS IN CRIME

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Magna Cum Murder: Flash Fiction Prize Winner


Again this year, Speed City Sisters in Crime sponsored the Flash Fiction contest at Magna Cum Murder, the annual mystery writers and fans gathering in Indianapolis.  

This year's winner was Molly MacRae, the author of a number of cozy mysteries.  Here is her winning entry.


Hammered by Hamilton
Molly MacRae
Yo, I heard Miranda’s music,
Lin-Manuel’s astounding music
I went out and bought the full CD

Hamilton streaming through my earbuds,
Ringing in my waking moments,
Rapping, leaping Hamilton energy

I needed, oh yeah I needed tickets, tickets, tickets to that show.

But the prices,
Astronomical prices!
I knew I’d never, never get to go.

Yo, I heard about a contest,
Winning tickets from an essay
Could I write and win them? Wait and see.

I’m no writer,
But I am a plotter,
So I knew that I could find, could find a way.

I put an ad on Craigslist,
Plotted out my way on Craigslist
Found a writer who would ghost for me.

We made our Hamilton bargain
Shook hands on our Hamilton bargain,
Shook until I had to pull my shaking, shaking, burning hand away.

But he delivered,
Boy oh boy did he deliver
His essay? Pure art, pure devilish Hamilton gold.

We won the Hamilton contest
We won the Hamilton tickets
One sweet ticket his and one was mine.

We flew up to New York City
We flew high in Hamilton’s rapping
Thought I’d died and gone to heaven in those songs.

Then the catch came
(You saw this coming)
I should have seen this coming, coming all along.

My writing partner
Hot writing partner
Took my hand and held it just too long.

This isn’t heaven
Not Hamilton heaven
Turns out I murdered my soul for Miranda’s song.    


No comments:

Post a Comment