SPEED CITY SISTERS IN CRIME

SPEED CITY SISTERS IN CRIME

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Murder We Wrote: C.L. Shore's Titania's Suitor

Cheryl Shore writing as C. L. Shore is the author of two novels. Cheryl is a member and past president of Speed City Sisters in Crime.

About Titania’s Suitor: This is my first novel, although it was published after Seeker of Truth. The story develops against a background of phenomena encountered in today’s society including (1) misogyny encountered by women in the sciences (2) cyberstalking,  and (3) the coalitions formed by industry and higher education which can interfere with academic freedom. 

I grew up on mysteries, starting with Nancy Drew in grade school and progressing to Agatha Christie in high school. As a young adult, I read the majority of Andrew Greeley’s mysteries. Today, I enjoy psychological thrillers and historical novels.  My greatest challenge in writing Titania’s Suitor?  Building suspense when the entire novel consists of emails, mostly between two friends/confidantes.

Synopsis: Charlotte Stone never dreamed that her graduate student status would make her the target of a devious psychopath. But she is forced to admit her position of danger when vindictive messages appear in her email Inbox. The sender has obvious research expertise and the possible suspects include her estranged husband as well as several colleagues and acquaintances. Charlotte’s best friend, Veronica, has helped her through the crisis of her husband moving out, but she’s out of her league when it comes to this level of threat. Charlotte begins to feel danger could be lurking anywhere. Unsure of who is friend and who is foe, she realizes a broken marriage is not her biggest problem. Charlotte may be fighting for her life.

For a trailer to the novel, CLICK HERE

Excerpt from Titania's Suitor -- The novel opens with an exchange of emails. 

    

To: Hansen, V
Date: Wednesday, November 26
From: Stone, Charlotte P 
Subject: It’s finally here

Veronica,
Well, the deed is finally done. Pete moved out last night. And even though we both knew it was coming, it was very, very hard. Lauren cried and cried, before and after Pete left. I thought I would cry, too; but I couldn’t. I guess I’ve cried all the tears I’ve got. It will take a while for them to replenish themselves.
To top it all off, Lauren will go with Pete to his parents’ over Thanksgiving weekend. He’ll pick her up early tomorrow morning. It makes sense, since I’ll have her for every week during the school year and every other weekend. We’re determined to keep things amicable, for Lauren’s sake and for ours. It’s crazy, but we both feel like we still love each other. But this break-up seemed inevitable since I started back to school almost two years ago. We seemed to be arguing constantly once that change took place. Things kept going downhill. But somehow, I don’t think dropping out of grad school is right. For one thing, I have the government scholarship. If I quit now, I’d have to pay it back. Besides that, when I took that scholarship, I gave my word that I would try my best to complete this program and learn how to do research. I signed a contract of sorts. And I want to finish. Maybe I’ll put myself on the fast track and try to finish as quickly as possible.
Anyhow, fortunately (?) I do have an invitation to an “adults only” Thanksgiving with some of the other research assistants. They are almost all younger than me by at least seven years. But we know each other well, and there won’t be any kids around to make me miss Lauren. I’ll bring a salad, try to enjoy the company and/or watch football. Beats being alone on the holiday. I don’t have the money to fly home to Chicago, and I don’t want to drive by myself… too much time alone to think.
So here I am working on this set of data, trying to scan it for errors. I’m not in the best frame of mind to do that. I even did this intelligence test that popped up after checking my email. It turned out to be longer than I thought. After investing so much time in it, I wanted to know my score. I had to give my email address in order to get the results. And all it told me is that I did “very well.” I thought I at least deserved to know the items I got right!
Oh well, back to work. The office is almost deserted. Today is a holiday for students, but not staff. Still, very few people are here. You know how it is, everyone wants a jump-start on the holiday.
You are so lucky, you’ll have both of your kids and their kids around you on Thanksgiving! Be grateful!! By the way, thanks for the book on anger in relationships. It has been helpful already.
Have a good Turkey Day – Charlotte

___________

To: Stone, Charlotte P
Date: Wednesday, November 26
From: Hansen, V
Subject: Re: It’s finally here

Charlotte,
I am so proud of you. I’m not taking sides with the breakup – not at all. But I’m proud of you for getting through this event and keeping your head together. I know it is difficult, since I’ve been through it twice, with the same person. But, I didn’t love the guy at the times of the breakups and you do. It has got to be an awful experience.
I’m glad you have somewhere to go for the holiday. I would invite you over, but I will be at Allen’s with his kids. Allen is going to try this new turkey stuffing that he found in an Italian cookbook. He is quite the chef. I guess single fatherhood can force that role on you! Helen is playing the martyred ex-wife right now, but I’m sure she’ll snap out of it when she has the kids on Christmas. She is such a whiner!
Yes, the anger book really helped me out, too. I also started journaling when Stan and I broke up. I also saw a counselor, who really helped me get my life in perspective. You may want to consider it at some point.
You are being true to yourself in this situation. You will not regret it, even though it’s hard for you now. Trust me on this one! I’ll be home late Thursday night, and I only have to work a half-day on Friday (in the morning). So call me if you need me.
Veronica




To order Titania's Suitor on Amazon, click here.
To order Seeker of Truth on Amazon, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment